To reduce the environmental impacts of construction operations by focusing on actions that contractors can take to reduce embodied carbon that results from the construction process, primarily “inside the gate,” but also as a result of the specification and procurement of construction materials and services.
- To analyze the amount of energy required for various construction processes and for various types of construction using both historical data from completed projects and real time data from projects currently under construction; to establish an energy baseline for “typical” process loads.
- To identify, quantify and reduce the amount of embodied carbon in construction materials.
- To identify, quantify and reduce the embodied carbon in the construction process; to reduce the consumption of energy, water and materials; and to eliminate waste in order to reduce greenhouse gas emissions resulting from the construction process to zero by 2030.
- To shift jobsite energy sources to renewables and away from fossil fuels both for grid supplied electricity and fuel for onsite mobile and stationary equipment with a goal that all jobsite power be from renewables by 2030
Rationale for Mission and Goals
Until recently when considering environmental impact, the green building movement has focused primarily on the design and operations of buildings. This makes sense as 80% of the lifecycle impact of a building occurs during its use phase. However, as we are now able to design buildings that are Net Zero Energy during use, the environmental impact from the supply chain (including construction operations) – the remaining 20% – which was once de minimus, is now significant. It is incumbent on the construction industry to take responsibility for the impact of our operations, and take steps to reduce them.
Taskforce Chair: Michael Deane, Turner Construction